When could a parent use additional support needs mediation?

If you are concerned about your child’s education or additional support needs, talking to your child’s school is a good place to start. It’s often possible for issues to be sorted out by explaining your concerns to your child’s teacher or head teacher, or by asking to discuss your child’s Personal Learning Plan or Individualised Educational Programme (IEP).  If you have done this and are still concerned you could talk to your education authority. Ask to speak to the additional support for learning officer or the parent liaison officer.

If you have done this and are still unhappy you could consider using mediation. By law, education authorities must provide an independent additional support needs mediation service free of charge, for parents, carers and young people.

Mediation is a voluntary and confidential process where an independent person – the mediator – helps those involved in a disagreement to explain their concerns to each other and find a shared solution both parties are happy with. Any disagreement about the education of a child with additional support needs can be referred to mediation. Using mediation will not affect your rights to take the matter further later on.

Contact the additional support for learning officer in your education authority to ask about mediation. If you do not know who this is phone the council and ask to be put through to the relevant person or ask Enquire at info@enquire.org.uk or phone our helpline on 0345 123 2303.

For further information please see Enquire factsheet 8 – Mediation and our one page summary Steps-to-resolving-disagreements.


0345 123 2303
Enquire Visit our site for
children and young people

Helpline: 0345 123 2303

Visit our website for children and young people