What can I do if my placing request is refused?

You can appeal against the education authority’s decision to refuse your placing request. There are two ways to appeal: the education appeals committee (EAC) or the Additional Support Needs Tribunal.

1)  You will make an appeal to the Additional Support Needs Tribunal if :

  • Your child has a co-ordinated support plan (CSP).
  • The education authority has decided your child needs a CSP, or it is going to assess to see if a CSP is needed.
  • You are already appealing against the education authority’s refusal to prepare a CSP.
  • Your request is for a special school in Scotland, managed by an education authority.
  • Your request is for an independent or grant-aided school in Scotland, or a school in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, which is for children with additional support needs and the managers are willing to accept your child.

If you want to make an appeal (called ‘a reference’) to the Additional Support Needs Tribunal you can contact them to ask for advice. The Tribunal’s website is www.asntscotland.gov.uk or you can ring their helpline on 0141 302 5860. Your education authority can also provide you with information on how to make a reference.

2) If none of the above apply, you will make your appeal to the EAC. They will consider your appeal and either agree with the decision of the education authority or agree in your favour. If they agree in your favour the education authority must place your child in the school of your choice.

If the EAC agrees with the decision of the education authority, you have the right to appeal to a Sheriff.

For further information please see Enquire factsheet 3 – Placing requests Enquire factsheet 4 – Resolving disagreements and our one page summary Steps-to-resolving-disagreements.

Topic: ,

0345 123 2303
Enquire Visit our site for
children and young people

Helpline: 0345 123 2303

Visit our website for children and young people