When should a child have an individualised educational programme (IEP)?

The law does not say which children should have an IEP. All children will have a personal learning plan which records the progress they are making with their learning.  If your child needs more detailed planning – for example if they need changes to the curriculum, help from an outside agency, special equipment in class or support from a number of staff in the school –  the school may set up an IEP. Local authorities sometimes call IEPs different names such as an individual action plan or support plan.

If you think your child needs an IEP, talk to the school. In some cases, your child’s support needs may be met without the need of an IEP.

For further information please see Factsheet 1 — Planning children’s and young people’s learning.


0345 123 2303
Enquire Visit our site for
children and young people

Helpline: 0345 123 2303

Visit our website for children and young people