Are children under 3 entitled to additional support?

Education authorities must assess children under the age of 3 who need, or may need, additional support due to a disability. Usually a health professional will refer a child to the educational authority for assessment, after discussion with the parent. A parent can also self-refer their child.

Not every child under 3 with a disability will have additional support needs. For those who do, as long as the parent agrees, the education authority has to provide additional support as required. The support provided must be to help the child with their education and may be provided by health, social work, education services or a voluntary organisation.

For further information please see Enquire factsheet 10 – Early learning and childcare


0345 123 2303
Enquire Visit our site for
children and young people

Helpline: 0345 123 2303

Visit our website for children and young people