​​Enquire > Advice for parents > What rights do parents and carers have?   A A A

Advice for parents

What rights do parents and carers have?

Parents have a range of specific rights under additional support for learning law. The definition of ‘parent’ goes further than birth parent or anyone with parental responsibilities and parental rights. It includes anyone who cares for the child, which includes anyone they live with. So if a child lives with a foster carer, family member or prospective adopter, that person has the power to ask for the ASL Act to be applied.

You have the right to:

  • have your views listened to and be involved in decisions about your child’s education and support
  • have a supporter or advocate present at meetings about your child’s needs
  • ask your local authority to find out whether your child has additional support for learning needs
  • ask for a specific assessment of your child’s additional support needs
  • receive information or advice about your child’s additional support needs
  • ask the local authority responsible for your child’s education to find out whether your child requires a co-ordinated support plan (CSP)
  • ask your local authority for a specific assessment to find out if they need a CSP
  • be asked for your views and for them to be taken account in your child’s CSP
  • have the right to use a free independent mediation service
  • make a referral to the Additional Support Needs Tribunal relating to specific issues
  • make a placing request to a school of your choice including special schools, bases or units
  • appeal against a local authority decision to refuse your placing request
  • request independent adjudication.

You can:

- order a copy of our Parents' guide to additional support for learning which explains your rights in detail
- explore the other sections of this website to understand how to make use of your specific rights
- talk to your child's head teacher if you feel they are not meeting their duties, providing practical examples if possible
- find out about your child's rights.

Contact the Enquire Helpline on 0345 123 2303

Helpline open today 9.00am - 4:30pm.


Enquire’s Parents’ Guide

Our easy to read guide to additional support for learning in Scotland explains your and your child’s rights, local authorities’ duties, what to expect at meetings and much more.

Download Order printed copy