Parent and carers leaflet

A quick and easy-to-read leaflet about parents’ rights under the Additional Support for Learning Act. Includes details about Enquire and how to contact us. Parents leaflet image

Download as a pdf: Enquire parents’ leaflet as PDF (421 kB), or view the contents below.

Download as a Word document with minimum 18 point text size:

Enquire parents’ leaflet in large print, or view the contents below.

To order copies to distribute to families, email with the amount you would like and your address.

Getting help

As parents and carers you want your child to get the most from their learning. If you think your child might need extra support but don’t know how to make this happen, or you don’t think the support your child is receiving is quite right, Enquire is here for you.

What we do

Enquire is the Scottish advice service for additional support for learning. We offer independent and confidential advice and information through our website, by email or by telephone. We help parents and carers understand their child’s rights to extra help at school.

What you can expect from us

Enquire advisers have the time to:

  • listen to your questions and concerns
  • explain your child’s rights to extra support in school
  • advise you on the way forward.

Additional support for learning isn’t just a good idea, it’s the law

All children get support to learn and develop in school. However, some children need more help than others.

The Additional Support for Learning Act sets out the duties on education authorities to support children and young people; providing the framework to identify and meet their learning needs.

How to get in touch

Phone us on 0345 123 2303
Email us at
Visit our website

If you are looking for local information about education or support to access education services, visit Enquire’s map of services at

Helpline opening hours

Monday to Friday 10 am – 4.30 pm

What does ‘additional support for learning’ mean?

There are many reasons why a child might need extra support in school.
These include:

  • having a learning difficulty or disability (such as Autism or Dyslexia)
  • finding it difficult to control their behaviour
  • making themselves understood
  • having a mental health problem
  • being bullied
  • caring for someone at home
  • being particularly able
  • changing schools a lot
  • being a young parent
  • having a difficult family situation
  • being looked after or in care
  • having a family member in prison.

Some children and young people need a lot of support. Others only need a small amount for a short time. Support can be provided in many ways.

A child does not need a formal diagnosis to be entitled to support but it can be helpful to meet their learning needs.

What your rights include

As a parent or carer you have certain rights under the law. These include:

  • the right to ask your education authority to find out if your child has additional support needs
  • the right to information and advice about your child’s additional support needs
  • the right to have a supporter or advocate with you at any meeting with the school or education authority.

The law puts responsibilities on education authorities to make sure your child’s needs are met.

If your child is 16 years old or over, they have the same rights listed here as you.

Parents should always be involved in the planning of their child’s additional support for learning.

What parents have said about Enquire

“I was very happy with the advice I was given and it made me feel empowered at my son’s school meeting.”

“As a parent you can feel very isolated, as it appears that all the professionals dealing with your child know more than you. Contacting Enquire allowed me to access information about my child’s rights and what help and support should be available to him.”

How can Enquire help?

Enquire can answer any question about additional support for learning. For example, if you:

  • think your child is struggling in pre-school or school and might need extra help
  • want to find out how to ask for an assessment
  • are worried about the level of support your child is receiving
  • want to place your child at another school but are not sure how to do this
  • want to know more about learning plans
  • would like to query your child’s exclusion from school
  • have questions about your child changing school
  • want advice on resolving a dispute between yourself and the school or the local authority
  • want to know more about how schools may support children with additional support needs.

Contact Enquire – we can advise on your next steps

“I called several times and found the advice I received invaluable in resolving a complex problem.”

0345 123 2303
Enquire Visit our site for
children and young people

Helpline: 0345 123 2303

Visit our website for children and young people