​​Enquire > Blog > Common questions about co-ordinated support plans   A A A

Enquire Blog

Common questions about co-ordinated support plans

If you’re child has significant additional needs you may be having conversations about whether your child should have a co-ordinated support plan (CSP). Below are some common question parents ask us about CSPs?

What is a CSP?

A CSP is a detailed plan of how your child’s support will be provided. It is a legal document which aims to ensure all the professionals who are helping your child work together. It also helps ensure that everyone, including you and your child, are involved in the support.

A CSP is prepared for children or young people whose school education is the responsibility of a local authority and who

  • need support due to complex or multiple factors that adversely and significantly affect their school education
  • have needs that are likely to last for more than a year, and
  • need significant additional support from the local authority and other “appropriate agencies” (such as health or social work services)

How do I ask for a CSP?

You can ask your local authority directly, or go through your child’s school. We suggest you talk to your child’s school first. You should also put your request for your child to be considered for a CSP in writing for future reference. This could be a letter, email or even as part of the notes of a meeting with the school or local authority.

How long does it take to open a CSP?

It should take no longer than 16 weeks for the education authority to prepare your child’s CSP. However, there are exceptions to this. For example, if the education authority has asked another agency such as health for help and they have not replied in time or if the agreement to open a CSP is made near the school holidays, it may not be possible to complete it within 16 weeks.  If there is a delay, the education authority must tell you and set a new date for the opening of the CSP. Whatever happens, the time spent preparing the plan should not be more than 24 weeks.

Should I be involved in preparing my child’s CSP?

Yes. When a CSP is being prepared the education authority should ask you and your child for your views, as well as collect information from relevant professionals. You may be asked to attend meetings to discuss the content of the draft plan.

Will I get a copy of my child’s CSP?

Yes. You should be given a copy. If you don’t have a copy ask the school for one. The CSP is a confidential document. Only the education authority, the school, you and your child if over 16, will have a copy of it. It will be available to the team working with your child.

What can I do if my local authority decides not to open a CSP for my child?

You have the right to appeal a decision about a CSP to the Additional Support Needs Tribunals (ASNT). If you are considering making an appeal (called ‘a reference’) you can find more information about how to do this on their website.  The Scottish Government also provide an advocacy service called Lets Talk ASN to support families through Tribunal proceedings.

Your education authority can also provide you with information on how to make a reference.



Contact the Enquire Helpline on 0345 123 2303

Helpline open today 9.00am - 4:30pm.


Co-ordinated support plans (CSPs)

This factsheet explains the criteria a child must meet before they will be considered for a CSP, how to request a CSP and how to appeal if your request is denied.