Enquire gave me the information I needed to progress with my daughter’s transition from primary to secondary school next year. If I require any further help I would have no hesitation in contacting Enquire again
How Enquire helps children and young people
If a child or young person needs extra support at school for any reason, Enquire can help them to understand their rights.
We offer lots of ways for pupils to find out about support for learning and hear from other children and young people about their experiences and what has helped them.
Our website for children and young people gives pupils the chance to voice their ideas and opinions on support at school. It includes:
- A blog featuring young people’s views on a range of issues that impact on school experience, including transitions, being in care, poverty, caring for someone at home, depression, disability and more.
- Interviews with children and young people sharing their views.
- A map of local out of school youth projects and advocacy projects around Scotland, including details about how accessible they are – Your Area.
Our YouTube channel features our films and interviews with children and young people.
We have written the following easy-read advice guides for children and young people:
- Need extra help at school?
- Going to a new school
- Getting ready to leave school
- What happens when you can’t go to school?
- Extra help when you are looked after
- Going to Meetings
- What’s the plan? Your education and support
- People who can help you in and out of school
- Nadia’s Story
- Extra support in exams
All guides have been written with help from pupils. As well as the standard format they are also available in large print.
We actively listen to children and young people and involve them in our work by:
- Promoting their voice on our blog, and in interviews, films and our gallery.
- Seeking their help to develop our guides and website.
- Supporting their participation in our annual conference.
Our helpline is available to children and young people wanting someone to listen to the challenges they are facing at school and advise on their rights to extra support.
How you can support Enquire’s work with children and young people:
- Get in touch if you know a child or young person interested in sharing their views with Enquire about how their life issues impact on their school experience. We are also always interested to hear about projects and campaigns that are giving young people a voice and supporting them to get more out of their learning.
- Encourage children and young people to look at our guides and website and to call or email the helpline if they are having a hard time at school and want advice about getting extra support.
- Send us pictures by your child, school or youth group to add to our gallery.
- Help children and young people understand how to keep safe online.
- Tell us about any local youth projects not already on our map Your Area. You can fill in details about the project online here.Or print out the form here and return it to us.